VHF ROC-M with DSC (Digital Select Calling)
The VHF ROC(M) course will teach the student proper operational use of the VHF radio along with critical procedures/protocols during an emergency. The student will also be instructed in the use of various frequencies, phonetic alphabet, Digital Select Calling procedures and the Global Marine Distress and Safety System (GMDSS).
Map to FMI / Course PDF
The VHF ROC-M course is held on site at FMI Marine in North Saanich near Victoria, BC. The course PDF will be emailed to you once you've purchased the course. So that our emails don't go to your spam folder, we recommend whitelisting or adding our email address ( ) to a safe senders list in your email app, or check your spam/junk folders if you do not receive the notification email after purchasing the course.
Address & Google Map:
10875 Inwood Road, North Saanich BC, V8L 5H9.
- Classroom sessions include demonstrations, visual and hands-on instruction with equipment.
- Students have opportunities to handle equipment and are expected to demonstrate identified competencies to the instructor.
- A manual is provided to each student in advance of the course in an electronic format.
- Students are expected to read the manuals in advance of the course.
- One 5-hour session including exam.
Reviews & Exams
- Multiple choice exam and demonstration.
Facility & Amenities
Designed to accommodate 9 students, the facility includes amenities and instructional aids, including:
- Full washroom facilities and kitchen for coffee and lunches
- Food stores and restaurants in Sidney (10 minutes away)
- Garden outdoor area, first-aid station, and ample parking
- Up-to-date marine safety publications and charts
- Safety and other equipment for demonstrations